Tours to Jewish Heritage in Upper Silesia

Private tour with Jewish Guide in Upper Silesia, see more.

 

  • BEDZIN

    Cemetery Founded unknown, not fenced, completely devastated and destroyed, now – empty square.
    Cemetery (on the slopes of Castle Hill) Founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.5 hectares, brick fence, preserved about 300 tombstones (the oldest from 1831), neglected, local people pouring out the garbage here.
    Founded cemetery is not known, vandalized and destroyed, the area covered with asphalt former cemetery have given local authorities for the construction of the bus base .
    Plaque on the building in which the court plaque commemorating the crime committed by the Wehrmacht on 8 September 1939: set fire to the houses inhabited by Jews at the current pl.Wolności, the inhabitants herded into the synagogue and also set fire to a synagogue – were killed in the flames of about 200 Jews .
    Mizrachi Synagogue from the late nineteenth century Polychromes in the prayer hall depict the Holy Land, symbols of the 12 tribes of Israel and signs of the zodiac.
    House of Prayer Cukerman interwar period polychrome 2009. Renovation takes care of the Gate Foundation Cukerman
    Monument of Remembrance Będzińskie Jews in the ghetto is a form of symbolic railway ramp which grow several meters tall tombstone composed in part of a rail car.
    The first Jews settled in Bedzin at the beginning of the seventeenth century. In 1765, ro-lived 446 Jews in 1897 –
    10 839. At the beginning of the twentieth century Bedzin became one of the main centers • Polish and Jewish socialist movement. In 1921 it had a population of 17 298 Jews (62% of the population). Jews have gained a big part in the metallurgical industry, became the owner-me and other chemical plants. Opened Jewish schools and second degree (funded by philanthropists from local manufacturers). Shortly after entering the city in September 1939, the Germans destroyed the synagogue. Location of the Jewish population in 1940-41 was slightly better than the new Polish cities, therefore thousands of Jews from the central Polish fled to Bedzin. In May 1942, the Germans made the first deportation to the extermination camp at Auschwitz in August – the second (about 5,000 people). In January 1943 the ghetto was created, the disappearance of which began in August. Quite actively worked underground; during the last deportation broke out armed resistance, in fighting killed its leader, Frumka Plotnicka from Warsaw. After the war he returned to Bedzin 150 people who managed to escape death; all they left or emigrated.
  • STARY BIERUN

    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.21 hectares, brick fence, saved about 40 tombstones, some with historical value.
  • BYTOM

    Synagogue Established Unknown, open, no further data.
    The cemetery, founded in 1866, area of ​​1.27 hectares, brick fence, saved about 1,000 tombstones,
    The cemetery, founded in 1732, devastated and destroyed an urban area. The presence of Jews in Bytom after-supplied was in documents from 1349, but it certainly lived here much earlier. In 1732 it was founded the “old” cemetery, in 1810, the synagogue was built, and in 1869 – the second, In 1784 131 Jews lived, in 1810 – 255, in 1932 approximately 3500. As a result of anti-Semitic excesses that Silesians already initiated in twenties (without waiting for Hitler), many Jews came and went or emigrated, and 1,939 years remained only 1,362 Jews. In 1942 there was a deportation over a thousand Jews to the extermination camp at Auschwitz.
  • CHORZOW

    The cemetery, founded in the nineteenth century, preserved fragments of masonry fence and about 60 tombstones. The first mention of Jews living in Chorzow comes from 1829 roku..Należeli they, along with Jewish residents Maciejkowice and hajduks to the community in Bytom ..
    In 1854 they founded their own independent community, in 1865 built a synagogue, and in 1890 years involved first rabbi. In 1860, there were 640 Jews in 1931 – about 4000. know-lu among local Jews worked in the mines and the metallurgical industry. In December 1939, months Germans forced the Jews to leave Chorzów and escape (mainly to Dabrowa).
  • CHRZANOW

    The synagogue was built in 1786, no other data.
    The cemetery, founded in the nineteenth century, not fenced, devastated, survived about 50 tombstones.
    The cemetery, founded in the eighteenth century, after-surface of 1.6 hectares, not fenced, survived about 1,000 graves, including many of the historic and artistic value.
    The first mention of Jews living in Chrzanowie dates from the sixteenth century. In 1765, there were 60 Jewish families here, in 1900 – 5504 Jews before the war in 1939. year-. about 8,000 Jews. Before the Germans entered the city, about 300 Jews fled eastward into the Soviet Union. In January 1940, the Germans established a ghetto and soon deported about 3,000 Jews to various labor camps. In 1942 -wywieźli about 4,000 people to the extermination camp at Auschwitz, in February 1943
    there was a liquidation of the ghetto and the deportation of others.
  • Czechowice-Dziedzice

    The cemetery, founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.41 hectares, brick fence, about 50 tombstones preserved.
    Mortuary, ul. The school on the edge of the cemetery preserved neglected, but suitable for renovation building of the former funeral home.
  • CZELADZ

    The cemetery, founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​1.6 hectare, fenced wooden fence, saved about 1,000 tombstones.
  • DABROWA GORNICZA

    Cemetery, 5 Year assumptions not known, the 0.4 hectare-surface, brick fence, preserved about 150 tombstones.
    Cemetery Established in not known, remains the fence, devastated seriously, preserved only fragments of broken tombstones. The first Jews settled in Dąbrowa in the mid-nineteenth century, occupied mainly with trade. In 1921, 4304 Jews lived here. Germany after the city in 1939  many Jews to labor camps in the Reich. At the end of 1,941 years they created a ghetto. In May 1942, there was a deportation of 630 Jews to the extermination camp at Auschwitz, in August, the second – 500 people. In June 1943, the ghetto was liquidated, Pozo-permanent Jews were transported to the camp in the village of Środula (near Sosnowiec).
  • Gliwice

    The synagogue, house of prayer, active.
    The synagogue, Year of construction is not known, neglected and deteriorating, visible external architectural features of the synagogue.
    The cemetery, founded in the eighteenth century, the area of ​​0.6 hectares, brick fence, preserved about 800 tombstones.
    The cemetery, founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​1.7 hectares, brick fence, preserved about 400 tombstones. These references; that Jews lived in Gliwice in the Middle Ages. In 1587 a prohibition settlement, but it is unclear how long he apply. In 1715, Jews-you will receive the privilege to conduct taverns in the city, in 1812 there were 178 Jews who in the same year opened a synagogue. In 1905, it was .1960 Jews, and in 1921 years – 2200 (only 2% of the population of the city). The municipality had a synagogue, mikvah, school and library Jeiwsh. As a result of anti-Semitic excesses Jews were leaving and Gliwice 1,932 years there were only 1,300 Jews. W-1938 the Nazis destroyed the synagogue and arrested all the men from 18 to 60 years and deported them to a concentration camp in Buchenwald (GDR). Other people’s mknięto in the ghetto and forced to do hard labor. In May 1942, 586 persons were deported to the extermination camp in Oswiecim (no one saved). In 1950 lived in Gliwice, some 200 Polish Jews.
  • JAWORZNO

    Cemetery, ul. Moniuszko Founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.25 hectares, not fenced, quite validly post-devastated preserved about 100 tombstones, mainly iron, characteristic of the nineteenth century, and numerous fragments of broken tombstones. Jews settled in Jaworzno in the nineteenth century and soon built a synagogue. The dead were originally buried in a cemetery in the nearby Chrzanowie, but then founded their own cemetery on the so-called Pszczelnik.
    Issued monument on the spot where between the streets Mickiewicz and Complaints there was a synagogue, which was destroyed during the occupation of Germany. This monument pow-standing initiative of the citizens’ committee, tied in July 1988 year.

  • KATOWICE

    Synagogue Founded not known, a house of prayer, active. Cemetery Founded in 1868, the area of ​​1.1 hectares, brick fence, preserved 1,417 tombstones.
    The first mention of Jews living in Katowice from 1733 in 1840 – there were only 127 Jews, but their number soon began to grow in connection with the development of industry and the city itself, to the end of the nineteenth century, come to 2216 people. In 1862 the synagogue was built, in 1866 – was associated with the independent commune, and in 1868 years cemetery was established. The importance of the local municipality evidenced by the fact that in 1884 took place in Katowice International Conference of the Zionist movement. In 1890 he built a second synagogue. At the head of the municipality, which in 1932 numbered about 9,000 people, he has Brunb Altman; in 1935 he opened a Hebrew school. After the pogrom in 1937, many Jews left Katowice, fearing Nazi invasion of Silesia. Just before the outbreak of the war there were 8587 Jews (6.3% of the population). In the first three months of the occupation the Germans forced Jews to leave Katowice, most went to Sosnowiec. After the war, for a time lived about 1,500 Jews again.

  • MIKOLOW

    The synagogue was built in 1816, other data missing.
    The cemetery, founded in the eighteenth century, fenced mesh size of 0.5 hectares, Za-kept about 200 graves, including many from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
  • Myslowice

    The cemetery, founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.4 hectares, preserved part of a brick fence and about 100 tombstones.
  • OLKUSZ

    The cemetery, founded in the seventeenth century, the area of ​​0.5 hectares, not fenced, partially destroyed, about 20 tombstones preserved.
    The cemetery, founded in the nineteenth century, not fenced, about 300 tombstones preserved. The Jewish settlement in Olkusz started during the reign of King Casimir the Great. Hence came the famous king’s personal banker – Lewko. In 1764 423 Jews lived here, in 1856 – 746 (83% of the population mia-molecule). In 1909 it was 3249 Jews, and before the outbreak of war in 1939 – 3000. Germany in October 1939 created a Judenrat, and in 1941 established a ghetto, then sent three more transports (140, 130 and 300) to labor camps in the Reich. In June 1942, the ghetto was liquidated and deportation of almost all the Jews to various labor camps. In the ghetto was only
    20 Jews whom the Germans shot-li immediately after ordering the ghetto.
  • PILICA

    The cemetery was founded in the eighteenth century, completely devastated and destroyed, now-urban area.
    The cemetery, founded in the nineteenth century, the area is 0.3 hectares, partially preserved brick fence and about 200 tombstones.
  • PSZCZYNA

    The cemetery, founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.6 hectares, brick fence, preserved about 200 tombstones.
  • PYSKOWICE

    The synagogue was built in 1822, devastated in 1945, now there is a ruin (preserved outer walls).
    The cemetery, founded in 1830, area of ​​0.6 hectares, not fenced, about 220 tombstones preserved.
  • RACIBÓRZ

    The cemetery, founded in the nineteenth century, fencing brick, survived hundreds of tombstones, many of them made pell-mell into a heap.
  • RYBNIK

    Cemetery, not far from the old ramparts Founded in the nineteenth century, not fenced, devastated, no tombstones.

  • SOSNOWIEC

    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​1 hectare, brick fence, behind-kept about 300 tombstones; monument.
    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.34 hectares, not fenced, neglected, preserved dozens of on-grobków, many of them overturned.
    Monument to the Jewish cemetery obelisk commemorating the death of many thousands of Jews murdered by the Nazis in 1939-45 in the Basin and deported to death camps. In 1890, they lived in Sosnowiec 2,600 Jews (29.8% of the population of the city) and up to 1899 years did not have their own community, but subject to the commune in Bedzin. In 1894, they founded their own cemetery (in the fight against cholera) and in 1898 opened a large synagogue called “Urban”. In 1907 zawiązało to Linas association. Hacedek. In 1924, on the outskirts was created in ul.Floriańskiej house of prayer , in 1926 – a slaughterhouse birds. Open were too: Jewish hospital, an orphanage, high school coeducational school Talmud-Torah (founded in 1908), two yeshivot, a retirement home and a mikvah. Before the war, lived in Sosnowiec about 28 000 Jews ( 22% of the population). Germany at the entry to the city in 1939 made the execution of 13 Jews and 9 September destroyed the synagogue. In May 1942, they sent transport 1,500 people to the extermination camp at Auschwitz in June – three more transports (connect-not 11 000). After further still deportations in December 1943 and January 1944, the Germans murdered on the spot last thousand Jews from Sosnowiec.
  • TARNOWSKIE GORY

    Cemetery (approximately 2 km away from the market) was founded in 1822. As the first-he was buried then make Rinkla. The area of ​​0.55 hectare, brick fence, neglected for-hid about 400 tombstones; After 1945 part of the Jewish cemetery (then not yet occupied) was spent on a Protestant cemetery.
    Cemetery, Silesian town was founded in the nineteenth century, not fenced, about 50 tombstones preserved.
    House Kahal
    Built in 1815 (founding document of the Jewish community in 1815 signed Isaac Bloch Lorenz Freud, and others). The building is currently used by the Social Insurance Institution.
  • Toszek

    The synagogue was built around 1840, now heavily neglected.
    The cemetery (at the warehouses of the company “fittings”) was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.2 hectares, not fenced, about 100 tombstones preserved ..
  • TRZEBINIA

    The cemetery, founded in the eighteenth century, after-surface of 0.5 hectares, brick fence, preserved about 200 tombstones. many are overturned.
  • Wielowies

    The cemetery, founded in the eighteenth century, after-surface 0.3 hectare, fenced grid, saved about 200-grobków, the eldest 1782.
  • WOLBROM

    Cemetery Street. Skalska Founded in the nineteenth century, the surface
    0.1 hectares, not fenced, surviving several tombstones.
    Monument, the Jewish cemetery in November 1988 was unveiled at the Jewish cemetery monument in the shape of a symbolic gate with the inscription in Hebrew and Polish: “A monument dedicated to the memory of 4500 Polish citizens of Jewish residents Wolbromia murdered by the Nazis during World War II”; monument was created thanks efforts Nisenbaumów Family Foundation.
    Plaque at the Jewish cemetery on the mass graves of 800 Jews from Wolbrom and the surrounding area who were murdered by the Nazis and buried here, erected after the war pedestal with a commemorative plaque. Jews lived in Wolbrom already in the seventeenth century, the municipality was formed in 1740 years. In 1827, there were 724 Jews (27% of the population), and 1921 years -4276 (59% of the population). Before the war, they lived in Wolbrom about 5,000 Jews. Many of them were murdered by the Germans already on capture the city, and soon the Germans directed the transport of Jews to the camp in Zawiercie. Autumn of 1941, a ghetto was created; on 6 and 7 September 1942 in the surrounding woods Germans murdered about 2,000 Jews, others were deported to the death camp in Belzec.
  • Zabrze

    Cemetery Street. Hanka Sawicka Founded in 1871, the 1.5 hectare-surface,  masonry fence, preserved about 500 tombstones. Independent Jewish community in Zabrze was founded only in 1872, although there was already a synagogue (built in 1865 year) and a cemetery. In 1931, they lived in Zabrze about 1,200 Jews.
  • ZAWIERCIE

    The synagogue, built probably in 1880, now – the company “Polmozbyt”.
    The cemetery was founded in the eighteenth century, the area of ​​0.64 hectares, brick fence, unkempt and overgrown weeds for-kept about 200 tombstones.
    Cemetery, Kromołów Founded in the eighteenth century, post-top. 0.45 hectare, brick fence, saved about 1,000 tombstones.
    Funeral home, next to the cemetery Year of construction is not known, lives in the house now old caretaker, as the forces caring for the cemetery.
    Kahal house next to the synagogue in this building until the war housed the Jewish community. Cash Jewish Relief, next to the former cinema “Stella”
    In the still of the building housed the Cash Assistance, after the war and by a series of pouring cooperative “Purity”. It is not known exactly when it started to Jewish settlement in Zawiercie], but in the nineteenth century there was already a municipality, in 1880 the synagogue was built. In this During gave a note here the strong influence of Hasidism. In 1987, he lived in Zawiercie 1,134 Jews (27% of the population of the city). In 1921 it was 6095 Jews (21%), and just before the war – about 7,000 Jews. At the very beginning of the occupation of Germany arrested men from 17 to 50 years and 9 days tormented them and tortured. In the Summer of 1940 the ghetto was created, which brought a transport of Jews from Czechoslovakia, while Zawiercie transported about 500 people to labor camps in the Reich. In May 1942, there has been a deportation of about 2,000 people to the extermination camp at Auschwitz, in August 1943 year- ghetto was liquidated and the rest were taken to the extermination camp at Auschwitz.
  • ZORY

    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.58 hectares, surrounded by a wall and SIAT-Ka, unkempt and cluttered, preserved about 130 tombstones, with Jun-45 standing him in good condition, the rest – felled and partially broken; 59 old trees in the cemetery under protection. In the sixties they demolished the old mortuary.
    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, not fenced, about 100 tombstones preserved.
  • Biala

    Cemetery south of town, on a hillside mound, founded in 1645, area of ​​0.55 hectares, not fenced (there is a stone archway cemetery from the seventeenth and eighteenth century), preserved more than 800 tombstones and home ruin the mortuary.
  • BISKUPICE

    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.12 hectares, fence walls, preserved 52 gravestones.
  • BRZEG

    The synagogue was built in 1799, now – a residential house.
    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.5 hectare, fenced grid, preserved about 150 tombstones. Mention of Jews living in the Bank come from the fourteenth century. The synagogue was built in 1799, the first rabbi was engaged by the municipality in 1816. Open there were Jewish printers were issued, among others, popular among Jews in Germany calendars and yearbooks. In 1785 they lived in Bank 156 Jews in 1913 – 282, in 1933 – 255 Jews. During the great pogrom of Kristallnacht, the Nazis, among others tzw.nocy They destroyed the synagogue. In 1939 the Bank was still 133 Jews.
  • BYCZYNA

    The cemetery, located approximately 3 km from Byczyna, towards the village of Biskupice Founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.12 hectares, fence walls, preserved 52 gravestones.
  • DABROWKA GORNA

    Table The existing here in the years 1940-1944 forced labor camp for Jews from Belgium, France and the Netherlands, employed in the construction of an auto-Strada Wroclaw-Gliwice. As a result of hard work, disease and mistreatment of prisoners widu lost their lives. In May 1943, the Germans murdered 10 Jewish prisoners. To honor the memory of the victims after the war plaque.
  • Debowa

    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.28 hectares, not fenced, devastated, survived only a few tombstones.

  •  

  • Głogówek

    The synagogue, Year of construction unknown, now a shop.
    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.40 hectare, fenced grid, preserved about 150 tombstones.
  • GLUBCZYCE

    Founded cemetery is not known, vandalized and destroyed. Former local authorities in 1965 eliminated the cemetery, assuming at this point square.
    Cemetery Street. Wroclaw Founded in 1890, the area of ​​0.7 hectares, brick fence, devastated, survived about 200 fragments of broken headstones or tombstones damaged.
  • GOGOLIN

    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, walled stone, about 50 tombstones preserved.
  • KEDZIERZYN KOZLE

    Monument in Sławięcice Issued in honor of the Jews, victims of the branch Auschwitz concentration camp, which was located here in-time occupation.
  • KRAPKOWICE

    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.2 hectares, surrounded by a wall of stone, about 50 tombstones preserved.
  • Kraskow

    Cemetery, not far from the village, a distance of about 2 km from Kluczborka Founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.41 hectares, not under-devastated during the war, but after the war by Polish vandals or by the German minority of Nazi sentiment. Many tombstones smashed, graves pozapadane, was only about 60 tombstones.
  • LESNICA

    The cemetery, located 2 km from the village, founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.06 hectares, metal fence, about 30 tombstones preserved.
  • Miejsce

    The synagogue was built in the years 1852-1856, the province-not converted into a gym.
    The cemetery was founded in the eighteenth century, the area of ​​0.07 hectares, not fenced, preserved 144 gravestones standing, 88 overturned and damaged 39 tombstones bases (4 tombstones from the XVIII century).
  • Namyslow

    Synagogue Year of construction is not known, now – gymnasium.
    Cemetery Founded in 1794, the remains of the wall fence, the cemetery destroyed by the Germans in. 1938 after the destruction of the materials used for the construction and the marketplace, now – an area not enclosed. In 1986, during excavation (building heating network) was discovered on a well-preserved tomb of Dworna metal coffins, identification did not give the results and the coffin was buried in the municipal cemetery.
  • Niezdrowice

    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.07 hectares, not fenced, about 50 tombstones preserved.
  • OPOLE

    The synagogue was built in the years 1840-1841, rebuilt in the late nineteenth century, devastated during the war, renovated in 1953 and from 1970 to 1972, now – magazines “House of Books”.
    The cemetery was founded in 1822, when, the top 0.3 hectares brick fence, preserved about 570 tombstones
  • OTMUCHOW

    The cemetery, on the edge of the park area of ​​0.03 hectares, fenced wooden fence, saved about 80 graves, the oldest from 1849.
  • POKOJ

    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area is 0.3 hectares, not fenced, about 150 tombstones preserved.
  • PRUDNIK

    The synagogue, Year of construction is not known, and renovate the chapel now serves as Pentecostals.
    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.2 hectares, metal fence, behind-reared more than 140 tombstones, a mass grave.
    Monument on the Jewish cemetery Set on the mass grave of several  Jews, prisoners of Auschwitz, murdered by the Germans in January 1945 while hiking evacuation of the camp to the west.

  • Sieroniowice

    Monument symbolic grave in the old-him a forced labor camp for Jews, tortured and murdered by the Germans in 1942-43 motorway construction Wrociaw Gliwice.
  • STRZELCE OPOLSKIE

    The cemetery, founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.5 hectares, surrounded by a wall of stone, much devastated, wychowalny only two gravestones.

  • UJAZD

    Cemetery
    Founded not known, area of ​​0.7 hectare, fenced grid, devastated, surviving several tombstones. 


  • Wolczyn

    The cemetery was founded in the nineteenth century, the area of ​​0.23 hectare, fenced wooden fence, preserved 150 tombstones, including some from the mid-nineteenth century.

  •